About the University and the Faculty

History of the University and the Faculty

Following are significant dates for the University and the Faculty. For a description of their governing structures, and details of the Colleges in the Faculty, please see below.

  • 1827 Royal Charter granted to establish King’s College at York (Toronto), the state university of the Province of Upper Canada.
  • 1836 Upper Canada Academy founded at Cobourg, Ontario. It became Victoria College in 1841.
  • 1843 Official opening of King’s College, located in former Parliament Buildings of the Province of Upper Canada. First degrees granted in 1844.
  • 1849 King’s College became University of Toronto; connection with the Church of England terminated.
  • 1851 University of Trinity College established by Church of England.
  • 1852 St. Michael’s College established by the Basilian Order.
  • 1853 University College established, assuming responsibility for all teaching in Arts in the University; the University became an examining and degree-granting body.
  • 1856 Construction of present University College building started. Completed in 1859.
  • 1881 St. Michael’s College affiliated with the University. Full federation in 1910.
  • 1887 Instruction begun in fields other than arts and the sciences. University College became purely an Arts College.
  • 1890 East section of University College building, including University Library, gutted by fire. It was immediately reconstructed.
  • 1892 Victoria College moved from Cobourg and federated with the University of Toronto.
  • 1892 University Library opened; enlarged in 1909 and in 1954. (Now Sigmund Samuel Library)
  • 1904 Trinity College federated with the University of Toronto.
  • 1905 Part-time courses leading to the B.A. degree established.
  • 1906 University of Toronto Act laid foundation for constitution of the University.
  • 1920 Degree of Bachelor of Commerce established.
  • 1925 Trinity College moved to present buildings from old Queen Street site.
  • 1931 Ontario Upper School (Grade XIII) standing required for admission.
  • 1960 Name of Faculty of Arts changed to “Faculty of Arts and Science.”
  • 1961 Degree of Bachelor of Science established.
  • 1962 New College established.
  • 1964 Innis College established.
  • 1965 Scarborough College established.
  • 1967 Erindale College established.
  • 1971 University of Toronto Act 1971 established current governance of the University by a Governing Council. Scarborough College became separate Arts and Science division in the University.
  • 1973 John P. Robarts Research Library opened.
  • 1974 Woodsworth College established.
  • 2003 University of Toronto Mississauga became separate Arts and Science division in the University.

Officers of the University of Toronto

A list of officials of the University of Toronto can be found at http://www.utoronto.ca/about-uoft/university-governance-and-administration

Governing Council of the University

The overall governance of the University rests with the Governing Council which directs university policies. The Governing Council is composed of the Chancellor and the President who are ex-officio members; 2 members appointed by the President, 16 members appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council; 12 members elected by the teaching staff from among the teaching staff; 8 members, 4 of whom are elected by and from among the full-time undergraduate students, and 2 of whom are elected by and from among the graduate students, and 2 of whom are elected by and from among the part-time undergraduate students; 2 members elected by the administrative staff from among the administrative staff; and 8 members who are not students or members of the teaching or administrative staff elected by the alumni from among the alumni.

Officers of the Faculty of Arts & Science

A list of officials of the Faculty of Arts & Science can be found at www.artsci.utoronto.ca/main/administration/officeofthedean/index_html

 

Governing Structure of the Faculty

The Arts & Science Council

The Arts & Science Council is the governing body in the Faculty of Arts & Science. The Council is composed of elected members from the Faculty’s undergraduate and graduate students, teaching staff, administrative and technical staff, and normally meets eight times per year. It approves policy for the Faculty in the areas of admissions, curriculum development, evaluation and academic standing, among others, and determines the Faculty’s rules and regulations. Budgetary and administrative matters are not within the purview of Council; those responsibilities lie with the Dean of the Faculty.

The Council has a number of Standing Committees charged with specific responsibilities to formulate policy and to apply it in specific cases. Those committees are: Undergraduate Curriculum Committees, Committee on Standing (petitions), Academic Appeals Board, and the Committee on Admissions. Approval of graduate curriculum in the Faculty is delegated to a Three Campus Curriculum Committee and reported to Council for information only.

Details on the Council and its sub-committees, along with the Constitution and By-Laws, rules for elections, meeting dates and agendas can be found on the Faculty’s Governance web site at http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/main/governance.

Elections to Council and its Committees

Elections to fill the positions on the Arts & Science Council and its committees are held in the Spring for the following year’s Council and committees. The exception is the election of First-Year representatives, held early in the Fall Term. Notification of the nomination and election dates, as well as nomination forms, will be available on the Faculty’s Governance web site and from the Office of the Faculty Registrar. Students will be notified by email sent to their U of T email account.