Note: The following enrolment requirements will be in effect for students enrolling in Spring 2019. For students enrolling in the Spring 2018 enrolment period, consult the requirements stated in the 2017-18 Calendar. Students enrolling in Spring 2019 will have the option to follow the requirements in the 2017-18 Calendar. See the Actuarial Science program office for more information.
This is a limited enrolment program. All students who request the program and obtain at least the specified mark(s) in the required course(s) will be eligible to enrol. Courses required in either the major or specialist programs in actuarial science may not be taken as CR/NCR.
In order to enrol into the Actuarial Science Specialist program, the following courses must be completed: MAT137Y1 with a final mark of at least 63% or MAT157Y1 with a final mark of at least 60%, and ACT240H1 and ACT245H1 and ACT247H1 with a final mark of at least 70% in each course. Students will usually enrol into the Actuarial Science Major program after completion of MAT137Y1/ MAT157Y1, and then they will enrol into the Specialist program after the completion of ACT240H1, ACT245H1 and ACT247H1. Once these requirements are met by a student, the student will be eligible to enroll in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program. Note that the Mathematics Department enforces MAT223H1/ MAT240H1 as a prerequisite for MAT237Y1.
Note: The following completion requirements will be in effect for students enrolling in Spring 2019. For students enrolling in the Spring 2018 enrolment period, consult the requirements stated in the 2017-18 Calendar.
This program is designed to prepare a student for professional work as an actuary, and more generally in the financial risk management industry.
- MAT137Y1 (63%)/ MAT157Y1 (60%)
- MAT223H1/ MAT240H1 (should be taken in first year, enforced as a prereq for MAT237Y1)
- ECO101H1, ECO102H1
To be completed before the end of Second Year:
- STA130H1 (students should complete this course by the end of the Fall Semester of Second Year)
- CSC108H1/ CSC120H1/ CSC121H1/ CSC148H1
- A set of mandatory courses (3.5 FCEs): ACT348H1, ACT370H1, ACT451H1, ACT452H1, STA302H1, STA314H1, ACT350H1
- 2 FCE to be selected from lists 1 and 2 (students can only use at a maximum 1FCE from list 2, the practice oriented courses, to fulfill program requirements):
(1) ACT349H1, ACT371H1, ACT455H1, ACT460H1, ACT466H1, STA457H1, STA414H1, and
(2) ACT372H1, ACT470H1, ACT471H1, ACT473H1, ACT475H1.
In order to enroll in ANY 300- or 400-level ACT course, the minimum grade of C must be obtained in each of ACT240H1, ACT245H1 and ACT247H1. The enrolment requirements and the prerequisites for all ACT courses will be strictly enforced.
Students who have an interest in pursuing studies in mathematical finance should consider taking MAT244H1, MAT336H1/ MAT337H1 and APM346H1. Students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program who have successfully completed ACT348H1 and ACT349H1 may request to enroll in the following RSM courses (provided the appropriate prerequisites and corequisites are met): RSM430H1, RSM433H1, RSM437H1. MAT246H1 is recommended (not required) for students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program.