7.0 full courses or equivalent (FCEs), specified as follows:
1. 1.0 FCE from the 200-level gateway courses in English ( ENG250H1 and either ENG270H1 or ENG235H1), History ( HIS271Y1), Geography ( GGR240H1 and GGR254H1), or Political Science ( POL203Y1), or Cinema Studies ( CIN270Y1).
3. 1.0 FCE from at least three disciplinary/thematic clusters, categorized as follows (3.0 FCEs): a) Politics and Economics b) Society (Indigenous Studies, Anthropology, East Asian Studies, Geography) c) Culture (Cinema Studies, English, Music, Religion) d) History
4. 0.5 FCE in Breadth Requirement Category 5: The Physical or Mathematical Universe, or another half course approved by the CSUS Program Director, to fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning competency requirement of the program.
5. Additional eligible courses from the Recommended Courses listed on the Centre for the Study of the United States website (http://munkschool.utoronto.ca/csus/undergraduate-program) to a total of 7.0 FCEs, including requirement #4 above.
6. At least 2.0 FCEs of the student’s 7.0 FCEs must be at the 300-level or above.
7. At least 1.5 FCEs of the student’s program must be in American Studies (USA prefix courses), at the 300- or 400-level.
Recommended Sequence of Courses:
Students are encouraged to take any pre-requisites for the 200-level gateway course required, and/or enroll directly in USA200H1 as a first year student. Of the required second-year disciplinary survey courses, only one– POL203Y1–has a pre-requisite; students interested in politics, therefore, should take one full POL course, a pre-requisite for POL203Y1. Other recommended courses at the first year level include: HIS106Y1.
Second, Third, and Fourth Years:
USA300H1, plus other eligible courses, to a total of 7.0 FCEs. At least 2.0 of these courses must be at the 300-level or above. At least 1.5 of these courses must be in American Studies (USA prefix courses) at the 300- or 400-level. Courses must be chosen in a way that satisfies the disciplinary/thematic variety described above, plus 0.5 FCE in Breadth Requirement Category 5, or another half course approved by the CSUS Program Director, to fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning competency requirement of the program.
NOTE: Other 300+ series courses with 50% or more American content may be allowed; students should seek early approval of program credit for such courses from the CSUS Director.