Completion of the program requires 10.0 FCEs, meeting the following requirements:
1. EAS103H1 and EAS105H1, normally taken in the first year;
2. EAS209H1, highly recommended to be taken in the second year;
3. At least third-year proficiency in Chinese, Korean or Japanese, either by completing an appropriate language course (e.g., EAS300Y1/EAS310Y1/EAS320Y1 or a 400-level language course) or by demonstrating the required proficiency in the initial placement. Students whose placement assessment exempts them from the requirement must substitute Society-Culture courses or courses in one of the other languages offered;
4. A minimum of 5.0 Society-Culture FCEs, with at least 4.0 FCEs at the 300-level or above, of which at least 1.0 FCE must be at the 400 level;
5. Additional EAS courses to a total of 10.0 FCEs; and
6. 2.0 FCEs may be courses on East Asia offered by other departments.
Note: First-year students should take EAS103H1 and EAS105H1, a first-year language course (unless placed in an upper-year language course by the department), and up to 1.0 Society-Culture FCE at the 200-level.